Friday, January 1, 2016

The Reward

A personal experience story by David Peters
The following incident occurred while I was filming a documentary about the power of unconditional love.
“Mommy, Mommy, we're done with our chores now can we..."
This was the beginning of a remarkable 60 minutes. A teary-eyed, "how am I going to focus my camera?" growth experience.
I mean it was pretty cool that they even had chores. I don't see that enough where I live.
But this was Brazil and this family was like no family I have ever met. Sixteen children in the process of being adopted by parents fighting tooth and nail to keep them.
Most were the sons and daughters of prostitutes and drug addicts, some with aids, all of them victims of things unspeakable. Yet, these children were happy, joyous even, brimming with affection and peace.
And so when they asked for permission it wasn't to play games, watch TV or ride bikes, they were asking their mommy for permission to worship!
Stunned, I ask their mom if that's really what they said.
“Oh yes” she said, “It's their reward. It's what they enjoy doing.”
I turned to my cameraman, “Johnny, you finish the interview. I'm going with them!"
They paid little attention to my intrusion. Crawling up a ladder into a tiny cubby hole the three girls, 10, 8 and 4 lost themselves in gratitude and adoration of their beloved hero - Jesus.
They were in love with Him. He was their Papa. They raised their heads and hands and talked to their Daddy.
I tried not to sob out loud and struggled to focus my camera through the blurry tears. I have never witnessed anything so sincere and beautiful. My legs eventually turned numb cramped in that tiny space but I didn't want to move. I didn't want it to end.
When a stranger puts a camera in front of an abused and broken child you normally see fear and distrust. Not here.
I asked the parents "How could this be?"
They responded "God erases their memory." That's the only answer I could possibly believe.
This beautiful couple, themselves the recipients of massive amounts of grace and forgiveness, instilled in these children not just a belief, but a deep and intimate love for Jesus. These children delighted themselves in Him and spending time with Him was the reward they cherished.
I came to this house as a curious filmmaker, but I left as a grateful student, instructed by three little girls in the power of God's healing love.
Postscript: I too fell in love with Jesus during my stay in Brazil. It was there that I realized how wide, how long, how high and how deep the love that Christ has for us really is. For all of us. No exceptions.
I saw gangsters, drug dealers, pimps and prostitutes respond to that love and become transformed by it.
The Bible says “We love him because He first loved us." I witnessed that, I filmed that, I know it’s true. It’s an outrageous love and it’s free and it comes without judgement.
No wonder worship was the orphans reward. They found a love that brought them life.
Do you have a story of unconditional love? We want to hear it! Share your story here:http://buff.ly/1PUYITa

No comments:

Post a Comment